Saturday, March 3, 2012

How Friendships Turn into Acquaintences

In highschool I went to the Northwest Territories.
For those of you not from Canada: the Northwest Territories is in Canada. It's in the northern part...slightly to the west. Geography, ftw!

(POSSIBLY) TRUE FACT FROM WIKIPEDIA:
In winter in the north it is not uncommon for the temperatures to reach the −50 °C (−58 °F) but can also reach the single digits during the day.

In short, it's fucking cold up there.
To help put it in perspective, the temperatures were so low that when we arrived on the tarmac my nose hairs froze. (The cold temperatures were so extreme that the moisture from exhailing would freeze immediately. Hence: frozen nose hairs). It's the most bizzare sensation ever, let me tell you!

Anyway. Before the trip we had to prepare. We had to pack all our warm clothes, snow pants, winter jacket, gloves...the whole 9 yards! And because I am SUCH a frugal person I didn't want to bother buying all new snowpants. So of course, I begged my friend to lend me her "old ones" (which weren't old at all and were probably bought the year before).

When we arrived in the Northwest Territories we first stayed a couple nights in the local school (we weren't allowed to stay in the homes because it was unsafe..... no further comments). The following 4 days were spent "On the land", where we slept in tents, in temperatures around  - 40°C.

To keep ourselves from freezing to death, we were advised to sleep in our snow suits. (We actually got given a second snowsuit to put overtop of first snowsuit). They also provided these weird furnace things for each tent.
This was all well and good. I wanted to stay warm as possible. No way I'm getting frost bite and dying. So I vowed to stay near the furnace as much as I could.

Needless to say, shit got fucked up!

I stood too close to the furnace and my friends semi-new snowpants that she let me borrow on the condition that I return them unscathed...caught fire! Oh balls.

ProTip: When you're on fire, your not calm... You're a fuckin' tazmanian devil. And no shit, because you're ON. FIRE.
I was inside the tent, so I couldn't drop and roll because there wasn't space. The "floor" of the tent ALSO happened to be made of tree leaves. Yes. Tree leaves. I think it was pine, to be more precise.
I forget how I put myself out. Possibly just patting it with my glove. People do that, right? It's probably safe-ish. But it eventually went out. No horrible 2nd degree burns!

If you'll examine here.... the burn on the pants wasn't THAT bad. Sure its very noticeable, but it could be worse. Right?

Returning the pants was awkward.
She ended up asking me to keep the pants. Yikes.
I tried to play it off like it was no big deal, but she didn't buy my clever argument of "it's not that bad".
Heh heh. Um.... needless to say, we now exchange cards at Christmas and not pajamas... if you catch my drift.
Awkward friendship= Current aquaintences

Awkward Scale: A

(out of a possible 5 "A"s)

No comments:

Post a Comment