Sunday, March 4, 2012

Diapers on Teenagers?

At some point, you need to stop wearing diapers.

The acceptibilty of wearing diapers vanishes when you hit 4 years old. I've known some people who may have even used them a bit later than others... maybe 7 years old. But when you are in your teens, you should have that bathroom routine down pat.

Yes. Yes. People might have some bladder problems which means they might need them.
But c'mon.

When I was in highschool,  I use to go up to one of my friends' cabins for a week of sun, fun, and "organized activities". (She had THOSE kinds of parents).  Every year I would be dropped off at her house and then I would climb into her Grand Cherokee for a 6 hour ride with her parents and her brother.
Jimmy Buffet, Meat Loaf, and Queen were often played in the car ride. You decide whether that's cool or not.

This one year, at her cabin I discovered something.

My friends' cabin had 4 doors in the entire space: the front door, the bathroom door, and 2 bedroom doors. This was not my discovery, though.
I was going to change into my pajamas for bed and needed somewhere to do this in private. The bathroom was taken by her brother (who was 13 at the time), the "kids room" was taken by my friend, so I had to take her parents room.

While in there, I noticed the closet door was wide open. Sitting right in plain view was this MASSIVE diaper package propped sideways in the middle of the closet.
Awkward.

Why did they need diapers? Both kids were teenagers. This was so weird. I didn't want to bring it up, so I just kept quiet...

...until later that evening. I saw the brother go into his parents room. I was settled on the couch (aka. my bed) and when he finally emerged, he walked very slowly with his legs stiff, trying not to move them. I also noticed that there was an obvious outline of something bulky in the "underwear region".
OH GOD. The Diapers.

SO AWKWARD. I knew. But he didn't know that I knew.

(^Here I am sleeping on the couch after that awkward moment...)

Stupid me, I brought it up with his sister the next day. I asked:
"Does your brother wear diapers?"
Silence.
"Uh...no"
Silence.
"Oh... Okay."

So much lies. They were all lies. Lying liar!

Unfortunately, I still think of this awkward moment, the awkward walking, and the awkward conversation whenever I see her brother.
You might say we have an awkward connexion. (eh, eh?! Nice integration)

Awkward Scale: AAA
(out of a possible 5 "A"s)


No comments:

Post a Comment